[OpenAFS] Status of OS X 10.6 64bit kernel support ?

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:28:02 -0500

<jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>=20
>> Coming in a bit late:  is the 64-bit kernel really necessary?  I've =
been
>> running an iMac with 16GB using the 32-bit kernel; no doubt there's =
some
>> memory wastage due to 1MB pages but not really noticeable in =
practice.
>=20
> Interesting side question. I was lead to believe my late 2008 MBPro =
(which according Apple doesn't support more than 4GB) needs the 64 bit =
kernel to run with more. I haven't tried though.
>=20
> That said, I don't think if it is or is not necessary is really that =
relevant. Running the 64 bit kernel has other performance benefits, so =
is desirable. Also I believe the latest Mac Pros now use the 64 bit =
kernel by default...

My relatively recent vintage macbook pro can be force-booted to 64bit =
but defaults to 32. The deskside Pros default to 64. Several 3rd-party =
apps I use didn't like 64bit, but when not using them it felt faster. I =
didn't stick with 64bit long enough to have anything other than a =
seat-of-the-pants impression.

> The 64 bit kernel is the way of the future, so I think it best OpenAFS =
works out any niggles it has with it as soon as it can ... Just my =
opinion ...

Seconded.=