[OpenAFS] Re: Tuning the -daemons.

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:30:48 -0600

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:55:11 +0100
Jan Johansson <janj@it.su.se> wrote:

> We had this kind of problems before.
>
> In the first round the client made the server crash. An upgrade
> of the client from Ubuntu Karmic to Ubuntu Lucid solved that.

If the client made the server crash, there was a bug in the server.
Clients should not be able to make the server crash, no matter what they
do. Upgrading the client may have worked around the problem, but it did
not solve it.

> This time around we are rebuilding the IMAP servers for mail
> clients and since we have a little time before the users arrive
> with the pitch forks I am trying to understand what the "right"
> settings should be.

Well, the right "settings" would arguably be "don't deliver mail into
AFS" ;) But we can try what we can...

> To the best of my knowledge there never was a problem running
> rxdebug <client> 7001. I know for a fact the rxdebug <server>
> 700X works without problem during the hangs.

To be clear, I mean 'rxdebug <client> 7001' executed from the server
that was emitting this message:

fileserver[1139]: BreakDelayedCallbacks FAILED for host
AAA.BBB.CCC.186:7001 which IS UP.  Connection from
AAA.BBB.CCC.186:7001.  Possible network or routing failure.

I would try executing that while the hang is happening, to make sure
that the server can initiate connections to the client. If it seems
okay, it may help to run 'cmdebug <client>', and see if you see any
messages like

Lock afs_xvcache status: <stuff>

--
Andrew Deason