[OpenAFS] Re: Can "old release" clones be used?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:17:57 -0600

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:10:16 -0600
"Ryan C. Underwood" <nemesis-lists@icequake.net> wrote:

> > I would try to dump the RO on xanadu. Then restore to a new
> > temporary name Then examine it under the new name if it contains
> > everything I want. Then delete the entry for srv_www in the vldb,
> > after that, rename from new name to srv_www.
>
> Will changing the VLDB while the master is down create problems with
> sync later?

As long as you can quorum, you can make changes. As long as the vlserver
lets you make changes, it will be fine (that is, it won't let you do
anything if not enough ubik sites are up).

Changing the volume name/ID will not be noticed by clients, though,
until you issue a 'fs checkv' on them, or if about 2 hours pass.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net