[OpenAFS] pam_afs_session in Fedora?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:45:04 -0800

omalleys@msu.edu writes:

> I believe fedora fusion has the openafs implementation.  IIRC it is an
> issue with the license incompatibility...

> You should be able to get it into the mainline fedora branch if you want
> to be the package maintainer since there won't be a licensing issue. :)

My understanding was that the problem with getting OpenAFS itself into the
Fedora distribution is that they had a fairly strict policy against taking
any out-of-tree modules.  The IPL is only one of many reasons why OpenAFS
itself could never be an in-tree Linux kernel module.

Hopefully pam-afs-session won't have similar issues -- the license and
whatnot for it should be familiar and comfortable.  I just don't know if
Fedora will take a package that's only useful if you have another,
out-of-distro package installed.  (Debian only sort of does; you can put
such packages in contrib, but they're not officially part of the
distribution.)