[OpenAFS] proper way to bring down a file server?

Jonathan Nilsson jnilsson@uci.edu
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:42:27 -0800

--bcaec53f916b028282049cf851af

Hello, first I'd like to say that I'm loving how AFS has simplified so many
sysadmin tasks; thank you so much to all the AFS developers for making a
great product that just keeps getting better!

I have of course tested moving volumes around, and I figured that you could
replace a server simply by moving all the volumes off the server and
shutting it down.  Then at your leisure, build a new system from scratch,
bring it online and move volumes onto it.

I tried this, and it seems to have worked fine for most clients, but one
user got "connection timed out" when trying to login from from 2 different
CentOS 32-bit clients (one 1.4.14 with dkms modules, and another 1.4.12 with
the kmod rpm, all from openafs.org).  Other CentOS and Ubuntu clients did
not have this problem.  Many other volumes were moved with no problems at
the same time from the old server to the same new server as this user's
unavailable volume.

This was fixed with "fs flushmount".  Is this supposed to be necessary after
you "vos move" a volume?  Here is a curious entry in VolserLog on the new
server which may be of interest (though there are other similar messages for
the other volumes that I moved):

VolserLog:Tue Feb 22 15:58:13 2011 VAttachVolume: Failed to open
/vicepa/V0536870955.vol (errno 2)
VolserLog:Tue Feb 22 15:58:13 2011 1 Volser: CreateVolume: volume 536870955
(users.glang) created

I also tried "fs checkservers" and the two problematic clients both reported
"These servers unavailable due to network or server problems:
athens.ss2k.uci.edu" - athens being the old server that I removed.  All
other clients seem happy and report "All servers are running."

Am I supposed to remove athens from the VLDB with "vos changeaddr -oldaddr
<athens IP> -remove"? I will build a new "athens" server, but am waiting for
new hardware to arrive, so it may be a few weeks.

As always, thanks for any feedback!

--
Jonathan.Nilsson@uci.edu
Social Sciences Computing Services

--bcaec53f916b028282049cf851af

Hello, first I&#39;d like to say that I&#39;m loving how AFS has simplified=
 so many sysadmin tasks; thank you so much to all the AFS developers for ma=
king a great product that just keeps getting better!<br><br>I have of cours=
e tested moving volumes around, and I figured that you could replace a serv=
er simply by moving all the volumes off the server and shutting it down.=C2=
=A0 Then at your leisure, build a new system from scratch, bring it online =
and move volumes onto it.<br>

e user got &quot;connection timed out&quot; when trying to login from from =
2 different CentOS 32-bit clients (one 1.4.14 with dkms modules, and anothe=
r 1.4.12 with the kmod rpm, all from <a href=3D"http://openafs.org">openafs=
.org</a>).=C2=A0 Other CentOS and Ubuntu clients did not have this problem.=
=C2=A0 Many other volumes were moved with no problems at the same time from=
 the old server to the same new server as this user&#39;s unavailable volum=
e.<br>

o be necessary after you &quot;vos move&quot; a volume?=C2=A0 Here is a cur=
ious entry in VolserLog on the new server which may be of interest (though =
there are other similar messages for the other volumes that I moved):<br>

a/V0536870955.vol (errno 2)<br>VolserLog:Tue Feb 22 15:58:13 2011 1 Volser:=
 CreateVolume: volume 536870955 (users.glang) created<br><br>I also tried &=
quot;fs checkservers&quot; and the two problematic clients both reported &q=
uot;These servers unavailable due to network or server problems: <a href=3D=
"http://athens.ss2k.uci.edu">athens.ss2k.uci.edu</a>&quot; - athens being t=
he old server that I removed.=C2=A0 All other clients seem happy and report=
 &quot;All servers are running.&quot;<br>

-oldaddr &lt;athens IP&gt; -remove&quot;? I will build a new &quot;athens&q=
uot; server, but am waiting for new hardware to arrive, so it may be a few =
weeks.<br>

=3D"mailto:Jonathan.Nilsson@uci.edu" target=3D"_blank">Jonathan.Nilsson@uci=
br>

--bcaec53f916b028282049cf851af--