[OpenAFS] Re: proper way to bring down a file server?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:08:29 -0600

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 03:22:19 +0100
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> When a VOFFLINE error occurs the clients are not supposed to issue a
> new query to the VLDB servers.

Regardless of whatever bugs on the fileserver may be in play, clients
should indeed issue a new query on VOFFLINE. A VOFFLINE error can be the
result of incorrect/stale volume location information (if a volume is
offline on one server but online another), and so the current
information should be looked up when it occurs.

> In a similar vein, if the file server is inaccessible, the client does
> not issue a new VLDB query.

...this is intentional? Why doesn't it? We could be contacting the wrong
server because we have stale location information.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net