[OpenAFS] Re: Documenting the recommended fileserver options

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:18:30 -0600

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:05:49 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> I have no objections, but I think it would be even better to just
> modify the definition of -L so that it does the above instead.  But
> that's probably a 1.6 or later thing, so we still have a documentation
> issue for 1.4 and possibly (given that we're in rc's already) for 1.6.

+1 on this. Some of these could just be made defaults, though, really.

Also, I've been wondering about how we handle these options... would a
"use this amount of memory" option be desirable? Since so many of the
performance-related options that we tell people to change are
speed-memory tradeoffs, it seems like we could make some rather sensible
defaults if, for example, you say "-auto 2048M", and we adjust the
number of callbacks, dir buffers, etc to take up approximately that
amount of memory.

It's certainly not perfect due to _specific_ things needing to be larger
or smaller depending on the workload, but it seems like a better knob
than "small, medium, or large".

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net