[OpenAFS] 3900+ warnings during build for Solaris 10 SPARC

omalleys@msu.edu omalleys@msu.edu
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:56:24 -0500

Quoting Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>:

> Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> writes:
>
>> I've noticed both with Solaris Studio 12 and with
>> Sun Studio 11 that the build is loaded with warnings.
>
>> 1800+ implicit function declaration warnings
>
>> Is there no concern about these?  Unimportant?
>
> Is this in 1.4 or 1.6?  There was a *huge* warning cleanup in 1.6, and
> it's now fairly clean with GCC (although each compiler adds its own new
> set of things).

You have to use SunCC because of the kernel module.
There was some -serious- work done! IIRC there was around >5000
warnings on Solaris 10/x86 a few years ago.

With the Solaris 9/sparc buildbot, we are still seeing 1200 warnings
in master/head. In comparison the fedora 12/arm buildbot i think has
around 100 with gcc.

It is a vast improvement over what it was just a couple of years ago!