[OpenAFS] Re: Solaris 10 SPARC hang on shutdown

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:31:12 -0600

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:13:24 -0500
Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:

> Has anyone experienced hangs at OS shutdown with OpenAFS 1.4.11 and
> higher on Solaris 10 SPARC and recent recommended patch clusters
> (recent = the last 2 months)?

Yes. Oracle in update 9 has changed something with the uadmin() system
call, and it _looks_ like Solaris now waits forever trying to kill all
processes during shutdown for whatever reason. Since a few AFS processes
are unkillable (and deliberately so), it makes the shutdown hang.

The way around this is to stop the AFS client before shutdown. This is
not currently safe with any 1.4 release (on Solaris), but there are
patches in the 1.4 tree that make it so. But by 'not safe' I mean it may
panic the machine; if you stop AFS as late as possible before reboot, it
makes it less likely.

Complain to Oracle, if you like. I know they have already been told
about this, but the more the merrier. In the meantime, you can try to
umount /afs in the init scripts for runlevel 6/5/0 (and/or SMF, etc).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net