[OpenAFS] Re: Solaris 10 SPARC hang on shutdown

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:09:53 -0600

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:49:16 -0500
Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:

> Unmounting /afs let the test box go down for us.
>
> How does one gauge which workaround to use?

"which"? There's only one, I believe: turn off the client.

Oh, and I should mention, if you're doing this with vanilla 1.4.14 and
earlier clients, you also want to at least make an effort to kill
anything accessing AFS before you umount it. You can do that with a
simple:

fuser -s STOP -c /afs
fuser -k -c /afs

> Patty's saying the patches don't work ?

If you turn off or reboot the machine with commands like 'reboot', init
scripts and SMF are bypassed. So, if you try to umount /afs in an init
script, it's not going to help you if that's how you reboot machines. In
that scenario, this workaround doesn't work.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net