[OpenAFS] Re: Solaris 10 SPARC hang on shutdown

Derrick Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:18:22 +0000

I'm not surprised, tho given Oracle has not bothered to give OpenAFS anythin=
g I guess they expect us to take your word for it.

Yes, afsd is not really interested in exiting and would prefer unmount to su=
cceed

Derrick

On Feb 28, 2011, at 10:02 PM, "Patricia O'Reilly" <oreilly@qualcomm.com> wro=
te:

> I may butcher this a bit as I am not a kernel person. Reboot on Solaris wi=
ll not work, period -- with or without the patch. This is not good for our e=
nvironment as customers expect reboot to work the way it always has.
>=20
> You can use the init scripts and all will be well unless you have an appli=
cation that takes an inordinately long time to stop. We have a large automou=
nt map. Solaris goes through everything in the mnttab file umounting one at a=
 time, serially.=20
>=20
> We want our customers to be able to happily reboot. The alternative is tha=
t they bug us about how afs sucks and is preventing their machines from shut=
ting down.
>=20
> Oracle gave our Solaris contact an appcert program to run on the afsd to s=
ee if it met their API specs on how a kernel app should behave. AFS failed t=
hat certification. Oracle holds AFS is not doing the right thing. Sun's rebo=
ot kills all user processes successfully except afsd. Oracle says that the a=
fsd's are not user processes that never exit, they are really kernel threads=
 and not user processes at all.
>=20
> We need Sun's reboot to make an exception in AFSes case and stop waiting i=
ndefinitely for afsd to go down.