[OpenAFS] RHEL6 openafs, krb5-workstation /usr/bin/kpasswd packaging conflict

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:21:09 -0800

Tim Metz <tpmetz@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> With RHEL6, it looks like the Kerberos5 packages no longer locate binaries
> under /usr/kerberos/bin, rather place them under /usr/bin.  The RHEL6
> krb5-workstation RPM contains /usr/bin/kpasswd, as does the openafs-1.4.12
> RPM.  I'm considering building the OpenAFS RPMs with a prefix of
> /usr/openafs or similar to remove the packaging conflict.  I'm wondering
> however if this is a known issue?, and how the openafs.org distributed
> RHEL6 RPMs will handle this when they are available?

My recommendation would be to move kpasswd (and kas) into a separate
package that conflicts with krb5-workstation.  That's what we do with
Debian.  Those binaries are only useful to people who are using a
kaserver-based K4 environment, in which case conflicting with Kerberos v5
is probably not a serious problem (if they had Kerberos v5, they would
hopefully be using it instead of kaserver).

That worked fine for us at Stanford, even during our transition from K4 to
K5.