[OpenAFS] Status of OS X 10.6 64bit kernel support ?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:52:42 +0000

Hi,

I am running the 1.5.78 feature release of openafs on OS X 10.6.X =
(currently 10.6.6).

When running with the default 32 bit kernel, all seems to work fine. =
However, if I switch to the 64 bit kernel (which I would like to do for =
other reasons) openafs seems to experience problems. Accessing afs =
directories (under /afs/cern.ch, if that matters) seem to just hang up, =
without ever accessing the AFS file system. The same operations using =
the 32 bit kernel do not show these same hang ups. I have searched the =
Console messages, but not spotted anything (to my uneducated eye) that =
relate to afs.

I understand that the OS X 64 bit kernel is currently not the default on =
desktop systems, so I was just wondering what the status was, and if =
there where any known issues with this kernel and openafs ?=20

If I haven't provided enough details, please just ask.

cheers Chris=