[OpenAFS] volume size

Lewis, Dave LEWIS@NKI.RFMH.ORG
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:43:50 -0500

Hi,

I'm wondering what is a reasonable size for large AFS volumes. I
understand that the maximum size of a volume is about 2 TB (assuming
that the partition is at least that size). From a practical standpoint,
is it reasonable to have a 2 TB volume? Should I expect any problems
doing operations like bos salvage or vos move on large volumes?

For example, I'm wondering if bos salvage has a "harder" time with a few
large volumes than with several smaller volumes. I figure that, with
smaller volumes, internal inconsistencies that bos salvage fixes would
be more isolated than with large volumes, and that that would be
beneficial. But I don't really know.

Currently we mount 25 GB volumes in users' home directories for their
image data, which grows a lot during data processing. Some users are
starting to feel limited by 25 GB volumes, so I'm considering going to
100 GB volumes. I would appreciate any advice. Should large volumes be
salvaged more often than small volumes?

We're running openafs 1.4.11 on centos 5.3.

Thanks,
Dave

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=20
David P. Lewis=20
Center for Advanced Brain Imaging, Division of Medical Physics=20
The Nathan S. Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research=20
140 Old Orangeburg Road, Orangeburg, NY 10962=20

Conserve resources. Print only when necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended =
recipient.  It may contain confidential information which is legally priv=
ileged or otherwise protected by law.  If you received this e-mail in err=
or or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are stri=
ctly prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or cop=
ying the e-mail.  PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-M=
AIL AND DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.  Thank you for your coopera=
tion.