[OpenAFS] Re: Multihomed issues

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:24:55 +0100

Quoting Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>:

> If you're giving "vos addsite" a server name that resolves to an
> internal IP, well, there you go. You can have the fileserver set up
> completely correctly, but if you tell AFS 'vos addsite 192.168.1.1',
> it's going to add 192.168.1.1 as a site. "vos" doesn't have a way of
> knowing that 192.168.1.1 is really 128.2.200.90 or whatever address, if
> you've configured the fileserver to not advertsie the internal address.

I thought so.

> Giving the internal and external address different names would help, but
> it's still up to you to use the correct ones.

I'll just have to be careful. I'm going to use some different names
now that resolve only to to the correct (public) IP addresses.
Internally each of these addresses resolves back to different hostname
that also includes a private IP address, but I hope AFS doesn't
investigate the matter so deeply.

> If we gave the volserver a "what is your UUID?" RPC, we could get around
> this by having 'vos' look up the server addresses by UUID in the VLDB.
> But that's not how it is now.

Probably not worth the bother. Once OpenAFS has IPv6, for those who
adopt it the whole multihomed issue will simply cease to exist.

Cheers,

Jaap