[OpenAFS] OpenAFS hiccups for multiple users on Win 7 Enterprise

Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:46:30 -0500

--------------enigECC95243FE942B4E5E3163BB

Tobias:

I do not believe that the "RPC Server unavailable" error is related to
this problem.  That error is generated when a "file server" or "vldb
server" is not responding to cache manager requests.

Given that you are using Windows 7 and establishing a new remote desktop
connection at the time the outage occurs I suspect that you are
experiencing the Windows 7 netbios name lookup bug that is described in
the OpenAFS 1.5.78 release notes.  During such an outage I would expect
attempts to access paths in \\AFS to fail with "network name not found".
 That would be the Microsoft smb redirector failing to find the smb file
server named "AFS".

During such an outage the tokens and fs commands will also fail to work.
 It will appear to network identity manager that there are no tokens
present and network identity manager will display a black box over the
lock icon in the notification tray.

Jeffrey Altman