[OpenAFS] OpenAFS hiccups for multiple users on Win 7 Enterprise

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 05:12:49 -0500

--------------enig9E92CD0CEC25E2A1F3FEC6E5

On 1/25/2011 4:10 AM, Tobias Vockerodt wrote:
> Dear Jeffrey,
>=20
>> Given that you are using Windows 7 and establishing a new remote deskt=
op
>> connection at the time the outage occurs I suspect that you are
>> experiencing the Windows 7 netbios name lookup bug that is described i=
>> the OpenAFS 1.5.78 release notes.  During such an outage I would expec=
>> attempts to access paths in \\AFS to fail with "network name not found=
".
>>  That would be the Microsoft smb redirector failing to find the smb fi=
le
>> server named "AFS".
>=20
> here is what we found: obtaining an AFS token is no problem. Access to
> \\afs is also possible. As I found out just this morning, other cells
> can be accessed without any problems (tested with cell openafs.org).
> However, our cell here seems to be unavailable from that specific
> machine for something like 8-9 hours.

You need to determine which operation is failing and what the failure
code is.  This can be done either with the afsd_service trace logging or
with wireshark captures.

To use afsd_service trace logging, when your cell becomes unavailable:

  fs trace -on -reset
  try to access the cell root volume
  fs trace -dump -off
  place the resulting %windir%\temp\afsd.log file somewhere accessible

To use wireshark:

  fs setcrypt off
  start the wireshark capture
  try to access the cell root volume
  stop the wireshark capture
  fs setcrypt on
  save the capture file somewhere accessible

Jeffrey Altman