[OpenAFS] Re: Reducing cache scan time

Edgecombe, Jason jwedgeco@uncc.edu
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:50:39 -0500

I hard-coded the chunk size for all of my machines because I thought the =
default was 16. 16 is what is mentioned for a disk scan in the afsd =
manpage. I hadn't heard about autotuning the chunksize before. A =
chunksize of 18 (256KB seemed like a good value when I configured my =
machines.

If I increase the chunksize of let it default to 20, will that result in =
fewer cache files and a faster cache scan?

What is the algorithm for auto-tuning the chunksize, or where can I find =
it?

Is there a way to measure how effective the chunksize is on a live =
system?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Edgecombe | Linux and Solaris Administrator
UNC Charlotte | The William States Lee College of Engineering
9201 University City Blvd. | Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
Phone: 704-687-3514
jwedgeco@uncc.edu | http://coe.uncc.edu
If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission or a person =
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any disclosure, =
copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information in this =
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this =
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail or =
by telephone at 704-687-3514.=A0 Thank you.