[OpenAFS] Re: Need volume state / fileserver / salvage knowledge

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:42:16 -0600

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:17:31 -0500
Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:

> Examples from FileLog.old:
>
> Fri Jan 28 10:02:48 2011 VAttachVolume: volume /vicepf/V2023864046.vol
> needs to be salvaged; not attached.

This just says that the fileserver didn't clear the "I'm using this
volume" flag in the header; we salvage because it implies the fileserver
was killed possibly in the middle of some I/O. You're sure everything
shut down cleanly before? Do you have the FileLog from that shutdown?
It's possible for the fileserver to exit "cleanly" even if for some
reason it couldn't offline every single volume (but it will log that it
couldn't do so)

And there isn't anything in play that would cause an old version of the
vice partition or something weird like that, is there? (ZFS snapshots,
liveupgrade misconfiguration, etc)

> Fri Jan 28 10:02:49 2011 VAttachVolume: volume salvage flag is ON for
> /vicepa//V2023886583.vol; volume needs salvage

This is the explicit "something is wrong with this volume" flag being
set. This can happen as a result of many different things, but I think
all of them are logged in FileLog when they happen. If you have the old
FileLog, it might say why. Of course, one of those things that triggers
this is that "needs to be salvaged" message above. So, if a previous
startup logged those same messages, that would cause this.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net