[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.5.78 on Windows 7 (64 bit), system error 5

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:13:31 -0700

--002215b03042d958b7049b25db44

Just to echo what Jeff Altman has already mentioned, check to make sure that
the afs loopback adapter has been installed and that the afs name is bound
to that interface. This loopback adapter should have the address of
10.254.254.252. If your machine is finding another machine on the network
named \\afs -- that machine also should be checked to make sure the loopback
adapter is installed and configured.

There is a samba utiliity called 'findsmb' if you have any samba machine on
your network that may help you find machines advertising the afs name.

Finally, contributed $ to secure endpoints or whoever to get AFS designed as
a true windows installable file system out the door and in to production use
-- THIS IS NOT a PAID ADVERTISEMENT -- its a hope that soon we will see the
horrible dependencies on the rotten MS smb redirector code squashed and
expunged from AFS on windows...

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM, John Tang Boyland <boyland@pabst.cs.uwm.edu
> wrote:

> Another semester and more Windows 7 problems.  These are all problems
> that happen even after a reboot.  Today's flavor:
>
> Network Identity Manager can get kerberos tickets but not AFS tickets.
> There's a long pause and then it says it couldn't get tickets.
>
> On the Network and Sharing Center Control Panel, it lists an
> "Unidentified Public Network" called AFS with "No network access".  You
> can view the poor AFS service sending one message after another without
> response.  It says it is using the Loopback adapter which is apparently
> normal.
>
> aklog -d dies with the classic error:
> aklog: ktc 7 (11862791) while obtaining tickets.
> aklog -d shows it is at the very end while "Getting tokens".
>
> NET VIEW \\AFS
> System error 5 has occurred.
> ACcess is denied.
>
> I haven't see "System error 5" before.  And the error is immediate.
> (Not taking a long time first.)  I even get the "Access is denied"
> error when running with system adminstrator privilege.
>
> Any clues to fixing this problem?
> Please reply directly to me as well as to the list (I use digesting).
>
> Best regards,
> John Boyland

David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU
602-494-0424

--002215b03042d958b7049b25db44

Just to echo what Jeff Altman has already mentioned, check to make sure tha=
t the afs loopback adapter has been installed and that the afs name is boun=
d to that interface. This loopback adapter should have the address of 10.25=
4.254.252. If your machine is finding another machine on the network named =
\\afs -- that machine also should be checked to make sure the loopback adap=
ter is installed and configured.=C2=A0<div>
ve any samba machine on your network that may help you find machines advert=
re endpoints or whoever to get AFS designed as a true windows installable f=
ile system out the door and in to production use -- THIS IS NOT a PAID ADVE=
RTISEMENT -- its a hope that soon we will see the horrible dependencies on =
the rotten MS smb redirector code squashed and expunged from AFS on windows=
...<br>
oyland <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:boyland@pabst.cs.uwm.edu">bo=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex;">
Another semester and more Windows 7 problems. =C2=A0These are all problems<=
br>
that happen even after a reboot. =C2=A0Today&#39;s flavor:<br>
Network Identity Manager can get kerberos tickets but not AFS tickets.<br>
There&#39;s a long pause and then it says it couldn&#39;t get tickets.<br>
On the Network and Sharing Center Control Panel, it lists an<br>
&quot;Unidentified Public Network&quot; called AFS with &quot;No network ac=
cess&quot;. =C2=A0You<br>
can view the poor AFS service sending one message after another without<br>
response. =C2=A0It says it is using the Loopback adapter which is apparentl=
y<br>
normal.<br>
aklog -d dies with the classic error:<br>
aklog: ktc 7 (11862791) while obtaining tickets.<br>
aklog -d shows it is at the very end while &quot;Getting tokens&quot;.<br>
NET VIEW \\AFS<br>
System error 5 has occurred.<br>
ACcess is denied.<br>
I haven&#39;t see &quot;System error 5&quot; before. =C2=A0And the error is=
 immediate.<br>
(Not taking a long time first.) =C2=A0I even get the &quot;Access is denied=
&quot;<br>
error when running with system adminstrator privilege.<br>
Any clues to fixing this problem?<br>
Please reply directly to me as well as to the list (I use digesting).<br>
Best regards,<br>
John Boyland<br>