[OpenAFS] calculating memory

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:35:14 +0100 (CET)

> I am in charge of several afs servers in our college. Right now
> there are 5 afs servers running on 5 SPARC based servers. We are
> ditching Solaris since it sucks so bad and are going to move to
> Linux VM's running inside of VMware.

Before you do the move into a VM, check that your VM is up to the
number of IO/sec that an AFS server can make. I know that su.se
moved all there AFS servers into a VM solution and then out again
because of performace issues under load from many concurrent users.

I have not tried to move my AFS servers into VM because I don't
have the time to gamble with that sort of things.

Harald.