[OpenAFS] Re: Need volume state / fileserver / salvage knowledge

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:45:17 -0500

--------------enig12A55CD2CA484EAC71F98B44

On 1/31/2011 12:17 PM, Stephen Joyce wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Steve Simmons wrote:
>> We have about 235,000 volumes spread across 40 vice partitions. Our
>> 'fix' is a combination of lengthening that timeout to a 3600 seconds
>> and keeping our vice partitions no longer than 2TB. Active partitions
>> are spread roughly equally across those 40 partitions. But that's just=

>> a stopgap; the longer a server stays up, the more likely it
>> accumulates dead callbacks.
>=20
> Assuming this is true, isn't this a good argument to keep the weekly
> server process restarts?

But its not true.  As Andrew has already pointed out, callbacks are not
broken on server shutdown.  In any case, callbacks have a life span of
minutes to hours.  Even if a callback was recorded that was a week old,
it would not trigger an RPC to the client when it came time to break
callbacks on the associated object.

Jeffrey Altman