[OpenAFS] Re: Odd results moving volumes around

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 01:21:09 -0400

On 7/12/11 9:48 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:40:30 -0400
> Garance A Drosihn<drosih@rpi.edu>  wrote:
>
> > So my question is, would it reasonably safe for me to do:
> >
> >      vos syncvldb afsfs13 vicepa campus -verbose
> >      vos syncvldb afsfs13 vicepa campus -verbose
> >      vos addsite afsfs13 vicepb campus
> >      vos release afsfs13
> >
> > to clear this up?  It looks like I only made this mistake on a
> > few volumes, but as luck would have it they are all very
> > important volumes and I've never tried a 'vos syncvldb' before,
> > so I'm a bit extra paranoid about trying things.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish with a
> syncvldb...? You can just remove the RO from vicepa (vos remove afsfs13
> a campus.readonly), and then there's no oddity. Then, if you want, you
> can add an RO to vicepb with the addsite and release commands just as
> you've specified above.

There's a pretty good chance that I also don't what I'm trying to
accomplish...  :-)

I was thinking of this as a vldb error, as it didn't occur to me
that I could directly remove the unwanted campus.readonly volume.
Your suggestion has worked fine:

   # vos remove afsfs13 vicepa campus.readonly
   WARNING: Volume 536870968 does not exist in VLDB on server and partition
   Volume 536870968 on partition /vicepa server afsfs13.server.rpi.edu
deleted

and the listvol entries for this look fine now.  Thanks!

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org