[OpenAFS] Re: syncvldb timeout handling

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:04:27 -0500

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:04:33 +0200
Arne Wiebalck <Arne.Wiebalck@cern.ch> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
>  From what I see, 'vos syncvldb' will not sync the locations of
> volumes on a server B in case the VLDB believes the volumes to be on
> server A *and* A is down. It times out on the connection attempt to A
> and leaves the VLDB untouched.

Yeah, it can't verify that the volume doesn't exist on server A.

> I couldn't find an option to enforce the sync. Shouldn't there be one?

There certainly could be. It could be dangerous to use, but it also
seems like a useful thing to have. Much of the time you can get the same
effect if you just delete the problematic entries from the vldb before
you sync, in the meantime.

I'm not sure if you're offering to make the change yourself or if this
is just a feature request, but patches are of course welcome. If you
just don't want the request to get lost, you may want to make a ticket
about it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net