[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6.0pre2 - more vos issues, possible bug

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:30:49 -0600

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 17:20:34 -0500 (EST)
Andy Cobaugh <phalenor@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The first issue you reported had problems much earlier before the
> > log messages you gave. Did anything happen to the backup volume
> > before that?  No messages referencing that volume id? Did you or
> > someone/thing else remove the backup clone or anything?
>
> Nope. We don't even access the backup volume when doing the file-level
> backups anymore.

Well, _something_ deleted it, unless it didn't exist before 1 mar 2011.
This message

Tue Mar  1 00:02:12 2011 VReadVolumeDiskHeader: Couldn't open header for volume 536871061 (errno 2)

means the volume doesn't exist. It's not that it's corrupt or anything;
the volume was completely deleted. (or something just deleted the .vol
header, but the other messages suggest it was deleted normally)

> Yes, the zaps were me trying to get the .backup into a usable state.
> Though, the first string of salvages started in the middle of the
> afternoon without any intervention - I think the event that caused
> them is what's missing from the picture.

Well, do you have the messages from around then?

> I'm still a little hesitant to bos salvage that server - whole reason
> we're trying to switch to DAFS is to avoid the multi-hour fileserver
> outages.

Salvaging a single volume is the same as a demand-salvage; it is no
slower and no more impactful than an automatically-triggered one. But
you can manually trigger the salvage of a single volume group in cases
like this (e.g. when the fileserver refuses to because it's been
salvaged too many times).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net