[OpenAFS] Windows 7 x64: \\afs\cs.uwm.edu refers to a location that is unavailable

Sun, 01 May 2011 11:40:59 -0400

--------------enig3AEBED1AA8A9D82657687ECE

On 4/28/2011 3:22 PM, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Just integrated my first Windows client into my otherwise Linux only
> cell and have a similar problem here. System is WinXP SP3 (32bit) with
> OpenAFS 1.5.99d/KfW 3.22. Everything works fine except UNC path access.=

> I get a message similar to the above (translated from german) when I
> enter the UNC path into Windows Explorer's address bar:
>=20
> The file "\\afs\altum.de" was not found. Please check spelling and
> repeat the action or search for the file by clicking on "Start" and the=
> on "Search".
>=20
> Bye...

=46rom the afsd_init.log file:

  Using >ISENGARD-AFS< as SMB server name

In other words, the path to AFS on your machine is

  \\ISENGARD-AFS\

and not

  \\AFS

This would have also been obvious by looking at the output of 'nbtstat
-n' and 'nbtstat -S' which tell you the netbios name registrations and
active netbios sessions.

This style of naming is in use because "LAN adapter number not
determined".  Either the Microsoft Loopback Adapter is not installed,
not enabled in or in conflict with another network adapter on the machine=
=2E

=46rom the afsd_init.log it is also clear that you are using Global Drive=

Mappings

 GlobalAutoMap of Z: to OpenAFS succeeded (0)

which the release notes make quite clear should not be used.  It is
impossible to distinguish a global drive mapping from a local hard disk
which has many negative consequences for AFS Path Ioctl processing.
Microsoft deprecated this functionality with the release of Windows XP.

Jeffrey Altman