[OpenAFS] Re: UDP timeouts

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Mon, 16 May 2011 23:19:23 +0200

Quoting Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>:

> <http://git.openafs.org/?p=openafs.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=fdc29c662e86f44ae80b304377111a10866276dd>
>
> That's against the 1.4 head, but it should apply fine to your source as
> well. You still want a timeout of at least around 20 minutes with that,
> but try adjusting the timeouts as before if you want, and let us know
> how it works out.

After almost a day of operations with your patch in place and both UDP
timeout values set to 3600 seconds, there were just a few dropped
packets. Not having noticed that immediately (it was on the one server
I didn't check), I reduced the values further to 1800 seconds, but
then saw many (more) dropped packets. I've now increased the timeout
values to 4500 seconds and expect to see few if any more dropped
packets. Your patch has indeed allowed me to reduce the UDP timeout
values significantly, although 20 minutes doesn't seem to be within
reach yet.

Cheers,

Jaap