[OpenAFS] Re: Volume problem

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 17:49:38 -0500

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 23:42:09 +0100
jm130794 <jm130794@gmail.com> wrote:

> # vos examine user.mbride2
> Could not fetch the information about volume 32 from the server
> : No such device
> Volume does not exist on server afs1.128.20.172.in-addr.arpa as
> indicated by the VLDB
>
> Dump only information from VLDB
>
> user.mbride2
>      RWrite: 32
>      number of sites -> 1
>         server afs1.128.20.172.in-addr.arpa partition /vicepa RW Site

This volume has an id of "32". Volume ids are usually larger than
536870912; do you know how this volume was created?

> # vos create afs1 a user.mbride2 -maxquota 300000
> Volume user.mbride2 already exists
> Error in vos create command.
> root@krbclient:~#
>
> I don't understand why I can't  examine user.mbride2 volume ! Why ?

The volume doesn't exist on that server, although it has an entry in the
vldb. If the volume does exist somewhere, you may be able to correct the
vldb by running 'vos syncserv' and 'vos syncvldb'. If it does not appear
to exist anywhere, you can remove the vldb entry with 'vos delentry',
and then create a new volume with that name.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net