[OpenAFS] Re: Volume problem

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:18:38 -0500

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 17:59:41 -0500
jm130794 <jm130794@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't understand why I can't  examine user.mbride2 volume ! Why ?
>>
>> The volume doesn't exist on that server, although it has an entry in
>> the vldb. If the volume does exist somewhere, you may be able to
>> correct the vldb by running 'vos syncserv' and 'vos syncvldb'. If it
>> does not appear to exist anywhere, you can remove the vldb entry
>> with 'vos delentry', and then create a new volume with that name.
>
> It's strange, a user used this volume a few days ago...

Well, it's possible something messed with the vldb entry, or the
database was corrupted by something. You can try looking for the volume
user.mbride2 on that server. If you run something like:

volinfo /vicepa | grep user.mbride2

as root on the fileserver the volume is supposed to be on, it may tell
you what the volume ID probably is. (volinfo may be in /usr/afs/bin, if
it's not in your PATH) That is, if a volume claiming to be user.mbride2
is on that server, that will say what its volume ID is.

Or if you have backups of the volume (or of the vldb itself), you can
probably see what the volume id used to be from those.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net