[OpenAFS] Re: /afs mounts RO on kernel 3.1.0-1.1

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:27:21 -0600

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:40:30 -0500
Marc Dionne <marc.c.dionne@gmail.com> wrote:

> > touch  /afs/.creedon.biz/junk/foo
> > touch: cannot touch `/afs/.creedon.biz/junk/foo': Read-only file system
>
> I have a few systems with 3.1 and 3.2-rc kernels (but running master,
> not 1.6) and this behaves normally for my cells.

I think this involves mountpoints with an explicit local cell name.
(That is, 'cell:foo' rather than 'foo' with local cell 'cell'.) I don't
see a difference myself just between Linux 3.1 and 2.6, but I'm pretty
sure at least different OpenAFS client versions handle this differently.
Sometimes mountpoints like that are treated like foreign mounts, where
the algorithm for determining RO-ness is reset.

I don't think it's supposed to do that, so while it is a bug, I thought
it wasn't new with 1.6 or Linux 3.*.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net