[OpenAFS] Windows AFS Client implemented as a Kernel mode or User mode driver?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:13:23 -0500

--------------enig5BC6FFD8F60E1ED52E172F5D

  <head>
pe">
    <title></title>
  </head>
    Nick:<br>
    My point is that regardless of whether it is implemented entirely in
    userland or kernel you can't virtualize a file system.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0 Prior to
    1.7, OpenAFS was implemented as a userland only service and a
    network provider module that is loaded into all applications that
    piggybacked upon loopback network adapter driver and the Microsoft
    SMB redirector file system driver.=C2=A0 In 1.7 OpenAFS replaces the
    loopback adapter driver and the SMB redirector file system driver
    with its own redirector file system driver.=C2=A0=C2=A0 You can't vir=
tualize
    parts of a file system and not do the entire thing.<br>
    What would be an interesting direction would be executing ThinApp
    packages out of AFS on student desktop images so you don't have to
    deploy the packages everywhere.<br>
    Jeffrey Altman<br>