[OpenAFS] Windows 7, 1.7.2, 64 bit, sloooow boot up. Anyone else?

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:25:21 -0700

On 11/30/2011 2:53 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> On 11/30/2011 3:28 PM, Kim Kimball wrote:
>> Correct, it's configured for automatic logon.  Should have said "no
>> prompt for logon user/password."
>>
>> Waited 12+ minutes from first appearance of "Welcome" -- then hit
>> CTRL-ALT-DEL -- desktop appears shortly after CTRL-ALT-DEL.
>>
>> Trying again, will hit CTRL-ALT-DEL after the approx 2.5 minutes I
>> expect (from successful boot attempts earlier, with AFS enabled for auto
>> start) and see what the lower time frame is for this behavior.
>>

> This sounds similar to
> https://rt.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=130299
>
> The afsd_init.log showed it took 3.5 minutes to do a WinVerifyTrust()
> operation.
>
> 10/28/2011 10:19:56 AM: C:\Program
> Files\OpenAFS\Client\Program\afsd_service.exe version 1.7.100
> 10/28/2011 10:23:40 AM: Num of Process Modules: 85
>
> Circumvention was to set in the registry:
> [HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenAFS\Client]
>  VerifyServiceSignature = 0
>
> Never did figure out why the WinVerifyTrust would take so long on a
> few machines.

>>> All machines require logon.  Your machine may be configured to
>>> automatically logon but it does perform a logon.  Automatic logon
>>> caches
>>> the password for the account and applies it at the appropriate time.
>>>
>>>  From the perspective of AFS logon begins when the Network Provider
>>> function NPLogon() is called.  It checks the state of the service
>>> and if
>>> it is configured for auto-start verifies that it started.  If it
>>> didn't,
>>> then the service is started.  It then waits for start to complete.
>>>
>>> Once that is done it checks to see if integrated logon is enabled.  If
>>> so, it attempts to obtain AFS tokens for the configured cell using the
>>> username and password provided by Windows.  This is the username and
>>> password that are cached for automatic use.

Progress.

If I _remove_ the windows password the "Welcome" screen stays
indefinitely, until I CTRL-ALT-DEL.

If I use a windows password the boot process completes successfully in
the expected time frame.

If I coordinate the windows password with Kerberos password the boot
process completes in the expected time frame, and integrated login works
as expected.

Haven't tried disabling integrated login yet, but it does seem to me
that integrated login should fail promptly if no password is
provided/available.

I don't see a clear way to disable integrated login -- EnableKFW doesn't
appear to be the right registry key to use -- please advise, thanks.