[OpenAFS] DA file server on linux 1.6.0rc2: assertion failed: Create

John Tang Boyland boyland@uwm.edu
Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:43:02 -0500

I've had a problem with the new DA file server.  It lost an entire directory
and the file server crashed.  The symptom that something was going bad was

% touch 176
touch: cannot create 176: File too large
pabst.cs 297 % fs lq .

Volume Name                   Quota      Used %Used   Partition
fa11.cs732                   100000     64776   65%          1%

This happened before, the directory was impossible to use.
(That is, one could not create any files in it.)
I created a new directory and abandoned the old directory,
but then a few weeks later, the problem reocurred.  In both cases,
the FileLog has entries such as:
Wed Oct  5 16:08:38 2011 ReallyRead(): read failed device 0 inode 7069583278211 errno 5

But this time, when I tried to rename (mv) the directory
which had the problem, the fileserver crashed:
Fatal Rx error: assertion failed: Create(&filedir, "..", NewDirFid) == 0, file: ../viced/afsfileprocs.c, line: 4215

When it came back up, the directory where files could not be created
was empty.  (But the directory in the backup volume still had
all the files, fortunately.)

The /vicep* partitions are ext4.  Maybe that's the problem?

I know 1.6.0rc2 is old, but it's the latest version available
with the Scientific Linux 6 "yum update".    If it's a known bug,
I'll just have to wait.  (Or if "yum update openafs-server"
isn't the command I'm supposed to use, let me know.)

Best regards,
John