[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.0 on OSX 10.7 fails to start up

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:31:48 -0400

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Chris Jones <jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wro=
te:
> Hi,
>
> I jusr reinstalled OpenAFS (for the 5th or 6th time now) and this time it=
 did appear to start OK, in that I can list /afs

> However, if I try and shutdown ads from the prefs plane the in finite bea=
ch ball returns.

there's a bug which will be fixed in 1.6.1. namely, we need to actually
1) give up the rx socket
2) signal that we have
3) not keep transmitting nat pings on it past that point.

> Also, if I try and shut the machine down with OpenAFS running I get a sim=
ilar hang up. Eventually (>5mins) I loose patience and do a hard reset. Sta=
rtup after this is similarly ver very slow but eventually gets there.

> I have uninstalled and reinstalled Openafs multiple times now so I am pre=
tty sure the shutdown hangups are caused by openafs.

yup. but the initial message wasn't that, this issue on the other hand
i know exactly what the problem is.

> I have another machine the same home network that appears OK, running the=
 same OSX version and OpenAFS version, so I don't think it is a network pro=
blem. The difference between the machine that seems OK and the one that isn=
't is the one OK is a new mac mini that came with 10.7, where as the machin=
e with problems I upgraded from 10.6 (originally 10.5).

> Sorry if I am being vague, here. If you need more details just ask.

--=20
Derrick