[OpenAFS] Re: NFS Translator in 1.14.12

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:02:25 -0500

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:19:50 +0200
"Mike Legg" <mike.legg@u-blox.com> wrote:

> I did come across an old post suggesting it is not supported in
> 1.4.12. Is this the case?

The Linux NFS xlator was added in the 1.5 series; you may be best trying
it with 1.6.0. The Linux xlator isn't guaranteed to work all that well,
either, since it does not get very much testing, and the Linux kernel
interfaces work against us. I'm actually not sure if anyone's tried it
with 1.6.0, but I do remember someone had gotten it at least minimally
working with 1.5.77. iirc, it will not work at all in kernel 2.6.29 and
beyond, due to certain APIs being made inaccessible.

There is a file in the tree which may be helpful:
doc/txt/README.linux-nfstrans. In order to compile the xlator support at
all, you need to remove or comment out the first line that says:

#define AFS_NONFSTRANS          1

in src/config/param.linux26.h, before you build. When you load the
openafs module, you need to, as mentioned in README.linux-nfstrans:

    modprobe sunrpc
    authtab=`awk '/[ \t]authtab[ \t]/ { print $1 }' < /proc/kallsyms`
    modprobe openafs ${authtab:+authtab_addr=0x$authtab}

After that, I believe basic functionality should work (unless something
is broken). There are other nfs-related configuration knobs, but for
basic support you don't need to do anything further.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net