[OpenAFS] Re: Kernel panic RHEL 5

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:25:01 -0400

On 10/15/2011 2:08 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Andrew.

>> Rebooting to single user, the insmod works fine and shows:
>
> So, I assume the insmod always works fine, but it panics as soon as
> afsd is started?

Yes, that's what I'd assume as well.

>> What I can see of the panic on the console is shown in the
>> screenshot here:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15519230/panic.jpg
>
> The more useful part is right above that. If you can't see any more
> lines, you can configure the box to dump core on panic, and you (or I,
> or whatever) can then get all of the messages in the dumped vmcore.
>
>> If I build 1.4.14.1 from source, it works fine on this box
>> it seems.
>>
>> I cannot explain how 1.4.14 is working fine on our other
>> similar boxes, but not this one.
>
> Anything different in the config on the box? (does the cache dir exist
> and look the same?) The only code changes between 1.4.14 and 1.4.14.1 I

Not that I found.

> think were for Solaris and Linux 2.6.38, so nothing relevant was
> _supposed_ to have changed...

I can no longer even reproduce the problem.

*SIGH*

The panics were found as part of 20-30 iterative Kickstarts
while developing our new OS imaging process and just went
away while working on it over the weekend.  I *hate* when
things are left this way, but unless I can reproduce it
again, I suspect this is a dead thread.