[OpenAFS] Recover old vice partition

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:44:30 -0400

> Date:    Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:13:32 +0200
> To:      openafs-info@openafs.org
> cc:      info@probanet.it
> From:    ProbaNet <info@probanet.it>
> Subject: [OpenAFS] Recover old vice partition
>
> Hello!
> 	We have an old vice partition (/vicepc) on an old backup hard-disk with
>
> data actually not used. Is there a way to access that data? We would like to
> bring its volumes online, if possible. Thank you!
>
> Stefano
> Fabio

Sure, 2 choices

1/	attach the drive to a machine, mount as /vicepX, and
	bring that machine up as a new fileserver.  (X can be a, b ...)

	This is useful if the volumes, drive & filesystem are compatible
	with your existing server infrastructure.  (in particular,
	don't duplicate existing volume ids.)

2/	attach the drive to a temporary machine, mount it anywhere,
	and use "voldump" to make vos dumps of all the volumes on
	the drive.  then use "vos restore" to export those volumes
	to an existing fileserver.

	This is useful if you don't trust the drive, or the drive or
	filesystem are inconvenient or incompatible to use with your
	server infrastructure, or you have existing space and simply don't
	want or need another fileserver.

				-Marcus Watts