[OpenAFS] 1.4.x quorum election process?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:25:56 -0400

>I would object.  A quorum requirement is that all servers are in
>agreement with the server configuration and the quorum algorithm.  Any
>change to the quorum algorithm needs to be exposed as part of the
>negotiation in order for servers to not get into a state where a
>misconfigured server or a server executing with an alternate algorithm
>does not result in a failure to achieve quorum.

While I agree with that in theory, we don't have that today;
misconfigured servers can easily cause a quorum failure.  Also if the
server times don't match up that can easily cause a quorum failure (I'd
classify that as a misconfigured server as well).

As an aside: you start to see why this problem has never been fixed.
Fixing the basic problem is easy, but if you start talking about some
huge negotiation framework ... gaaah, it's too much.

--Ken