[OpenAFS] Re: Afs User volume servers in VM's

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:57:49 -0500

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:48:32 -0400
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> I vaguely recall a hard limit to the number of file servers in a cell.
> That number is 127 if I'm correct.
>
> Is that the case?

Jeffrey mentioned in <4EA82F0A.6010401@your-file-system.com> that it's
around 255 (it might be 255 or 254 or something due to some special
values; I don't remember). It doesn't need to be that way forever,
though; it's just an artifact of the internal vldb structure, and is
exposed I believe only in one place on the wire, for interpreting
multihomed addresses. While I think it may be possible to increase this
without modifying the public protocol, for all intents and purposes it
doesn't seem too likely until the vl rpcs have been revised to support a
bunch of new things.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net