[OpenAFS] Re: Afs User volume servers in VM's

Renata Maria Dart renata@slac.stanford.edu
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:32:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jeff,

>You should upgrade to 1.6 so you can increase -p to 255.  This
>will help but will not address the core problem.

I am working on that...I have a 1.6 server in test mode.

>>> Do these processes communicate with each other to synchronize their work
>>> and as such rely on the AFS cache coherency semantics?  If not, could
>>> these jobs be modified to open the files in a different manner that did
>>> not enforce those semantics?
>
>> [...]
>
>You answered a question but not the question I asked.

I guess I am not sure about the way they communicate.  We recommend to
users that they do not write to one file or directory in AFS, but to
local scratch space on the batch client, copying things over once to
AFS when done.  That works for the users who know about it.  I am guessing
that there is no communication between processes for the users who are
unknowingly running a utility from each batch job that writes a
file to the same directory.

Renata