[OpenAFS] Volume rename with active volumes

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:28:23 -0400

--------------enigC16402460E2ED965077C7B17

File handles on the location operation system are associated with the
AFS File ID (volumeId, vnodeId, uniquifier) and not the volume name.  A
volume rename is a modification the volume location database that does
not alter the volumeId nor its location.  Therefore, client systems that
are actively using the volume will not be immediately affected by the
rename.

The rename will be noticed when one of two things happens:

 1. The old mount point contents are evaluated and the volume name
    does not exist.

 2. The new mount point contents are evaluated and the volume name
    does not exist.

The clients treat the volume location information as being valid for two
hours.  One possible course of action would be to alter the mount point
so that the target refers not to the old volume name but to the
volumeId.  Then wait two hours and perform the volume rename followed by
updating the mount point to refer to the new volume name.

Jeffrey Altman