[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS 1.6.0002, Windows 64: RPC Server in unavailable

John Tang Boyland boyland@uwm.edu
Sat, 10 Sep 2011 14:57:11 -0500

The student has fixed the problem by cleaning everything out and reinstalling.
They're not sure why the problem went away but guess it may have been because

<QUOTE>
the OpenAFS service was dependent on some component
name PNP_TDI which was dependent on a service RFCOMM Protocol TDI.
As I looked for it I found it was somehow disabled and would not
start/could not be found so I dug further.This was installed with
as bluetooth device drivers apparently, so I uninstalled those and
reinstalled those. And the service could then be set to boot start.
</QUOTE>
or perhaps because the firewall was disabled.

Regards,
John

] I have a new crop of students trying to install OpenAFS on Windows.
]
] I have a student who is able to get Tickets and AFS tokens with NIM:
] aklog -d -c cs.uwm.edu
] says that there are identical tokens already and doesn't do anything.
] (aklog -d tries to get tickets from openafs.org, but that's probably
] an incautious installation problem that is irrelevant to this problem.)
] NET VIEW \\AFS shows everything is fine.  (It shows the version 1.6.0002
] and mount points for cs.uwm.edu etc.)
]
] BUT,
] when they go to \\afs\cs.uwm.edu
]
] it says that they don't have access to the remote location because the
] "RPC Server is unavailable".
] We went to Norton Firewall and added a rule at the top to allow ALL
] outgoing connections.  Rebooted, still "RPC Server is unavailable"
]
] NB: The cell cs.uwm.edu is open to system:anyuser, and so shouldn't
] require tokens anyway.
]
] John Boyland
] P.S. direct cc's always appreciated.