[OpenAFS] Re: Performance problems seem to be coming back

Dale Pontius pontius@btv.ibm.com
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:46:57 -0400

On 09/09/2011 04:42 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 15:36:16 -0400
> Dale Pontius<pontius@btv.ibm.com>  wrote:
>
>> That's certainly better than using regular ping, since it's going to
>> go through the AFS message queues, etc.  In fact, the coworker next
>> door has been having some problems, and we tried this method in
>> another window on another client machine right as his script slowed
>> down, and saw a 20 second round trip time.
> rxdebug (in this method of operation) doesn't work just like "ping"
> does. Returning after 20 seconds doesn't mean packets take 20 seconds to
> traverse back and forth; it probably means some packets were dropped and
> we just retried. I think rxdebug waits for 1 second, and then retries
> and waits 2 seconds, then 4 seconds, etc. We probably could provide
> something closer to a normal "ping" utility.
In this case, I'm wanting something that acts more like normal AFS
packets, and I believe that's what rxdebug is doing in this case.  Some
people around here have been using ping as an indicator of network
latency, and while it can be an indicator, I don't believe it's terribly
representative of what is happening to AFS packets.  I believe the
current rxdebug is more indicative, though I can accept evidence otherwise.

Dale

--
Dale Pontius
Senior Engineer

This e-mail and its attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message from your system without copying it and notify sender of the misdirection by reply e-mail.