[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.002 on Windows; "No Network Access" doesn't mean anything

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:24:42 -0700

--e0cb4e6ffe1551d77904acc5fe8a

I'm having the same problem - can't set up a writable share but can view
using a browser

Hope there's a quick fix

tedc

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Jeffrey Altman <
jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> The "AFS" adapter is a loopback adapter.  It has no Internet access
> because it isn't a network on which there is a router.
>
> On 9/12/2011 5:25 PM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
> > I'm embarrassed to say that after two years of trying to get students to
> > successfully install OpenAFS on Windows, I find that one of the
> > diagnostics I was using is irrelevant.  When a student installed OpenAFS
> > but didn't get things to work, since I don't know Windows at all,
> > I would try to wander around the myriad pages in the explorer.
> >
> > I stumbled on the "Network and Sharing Center" and sure enough
> > AFS would be listed as an "Unidentified Network" and that
> > it had "No network access".  I would click on "AFS" and get
> > an AFS status page that shows IPv4 connectivity: No network access
> > and activity: XXX packets sent and 0 received.
> >
> > We would try various magic incantations to get AFS to work.
> > If they worked (i.e. we could go to \\afs\cs.uwm.edu in the Explorer
> > window), the student would be happy and go off.  And I wouldn't
> > see the computer again.
> >
> > Finally someone got me my own computer to experiment with and
> > (surprise surpise) even when AFS is working just fine, the Network
> > and Sharing center STILL says that AFS has no network access.
> > So, a view that I thought would help with diagnosis is worthless.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John

--e0cb4e6ffe1551d77904acc5fe8a

I&#39;m having the same problem - can&#39;t set up a writable share but can=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Jeffrey Altma=
n <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com">jal=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">The &quot;AFS&quo=
t; adapter is a loopback adapter. =A0It has no Internet access<br>
because it isn&#39;t a network on which there is a router.<br>
On 9/12/2011 5:25 PM, John Tang Boyland wrote:<br>
&gt; I&#39;m embarrassed to say that after two years of trying to get stude=
nts to<br>
&gt; successfully install OpenAFS on Windows, I find that one of the<br>
&gt; diagnostics I was using is irrelevant. =A0When a student installed Ope=
nAFS<br>
&gt; but didn&#39;t get things to work, since I don&#39;t know Windows at a=
ll,<br>
&gt; I would try to wander around the myriad pages in the explorer.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I stumbled on the &quot;Network and Sharing Center&quot; and sure enou=
gh<br>
&gt; AFS would be listed as an &quot;Unidentified Network&quot; and that<br=

&gt; it had &quot;No network access&quot;. =A0I would click on &quot;AFS&qu=
ot; and get<br>
&gt; an AFS status page that shows IPv4 connectivity: No network access<br>
&gt; and activity: XXX packets sent and 0 received.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; We would try various magic incantations to get AFS to work.<br>
&gt; If they worked (i.e. we could go to \\afs\<a href=3D"http://cs.uwm.edu=
" target=3D"_blank">cs.uwm.edu</a> in the Explorer<br>
&gt; window), the student would be happy and go off. =A0And I wouldn&#39;t<=
br>
&gt; see the computer again.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Finally someone got me my own computer to experiment with and<br>
&gt; (surprise surpise) even when AFS is working just fine, the Network<br>
&gt; and Sharing center STILL says that AFS has no network access.<br>
&gt; So, a view that I thought would help with diagnosis is worthless.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt; John<br>
&gt; OpenAFS-info mailing list<br>