[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS and AD trusts

Danko Antolovic dantolov@indiana.edu
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:10:40 -0400

Let me revisit the discussion about AD trusts and foreign users. I
authenticate to my AFS as a foreign user, dantolov@iu.edu, via the AD
trust that the AFS authentication domain, RESOURCE.NET, has with my
user-authentication domain, IU.EDU.  aklog sets up the appropriate
foreign-realm group and user:

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  listentries -groups  -noauth
Name                          ID  Owner Creator
system:administrators       -204   -204    -204
system:backup               -205   -204    -204
system:anyuser              -101   -204    -204
system:authuser             -102   -204    -204
system:ptsviewers           -203   -204    -204
system:authuser@iu.edu      -207   -204       2

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  membership  system:authuser@iu.edu  -noauth
Members of system:authuser@iu.edu (id: -207) are:
  dantolov@iu.edu

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  listentries -users  -noauth
Name                          ID  Owner Creator
anonymous                  32766   -204    -204
afs                            1   -204   32766
dantolov                       2   -204   32766
dantolov@iu.edu          1507121   -204    -204

and I get a normal-looking token as a foreign user:

[root@afs1c afs]# tokens
Tokens held by the Cache Manager:
User's (AFS ID 1507121) tokens for afs@afs1.bedrock.iu.edu [Expires Sep
15 19:08]
   --End of list--

However, this does not let me touch the files in the cell. Trying to add
the foreign-realm group to the directory ACL, like this:

[root@afs1c afs]# fs  setacl -dir  /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu  -acl
system:authuser@iu.edu  rlidwka

does not seem to work, and just adds the group system:authuser to the
ACL once more:

[root@afs1c afs]# fs listacl  /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu
Access list for /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu is
Normal rights:
  system:administrators rlidwka
  system:authuser rlidwka
  system:authuser rlidwka
  system:anyuser rl

The documentation says that broadening the privileges of system:anyuser
grants access to foreign users, but that is too indiscriminate. Is there
a way to selectively assign access rights to foreign-realm groups?

Thanks,

Danko Antolovic