[OpenAFS] 1.7.1 and Windows Firewall

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:09:04 -0400

--------------enigC895263999DC5AC0E2AC2FB6

On 9/16/2011 10:39 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> On 9/16/2011 10:25 AM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we noticed that it's necessary to manually open the Firewall for the A=
FS
>> CacheManager Callback (UDP) feature by checking the checkbox for
>> "Home/Work (Private)". "Public" is checked automatically. I'm not
>> usually a Windows user, so I don't know if that is to be expected or
>> not? It doesn't make sense to me that the Firewall would be opened for=

>> "Public" networks, but not for "Private" ones ...
>=20
> The firewall policy modification code has not changed since XP SP2.
> It is located in src/WINNT/afsd/afsicf.cpp.  Enterprising users are
> encouraged to modify the code to support not only the changes in the
> Windows 7 Firewall but also detect and configure third party firewall
> products.

In particular, a new interface to manage the Advanced Firewall is require=

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff956124%28v=3DVS.85%29.aspx

afsicf.cpp above is designed so that it can be tested as a standalone
application as well as integrated into afsd_service and the afs server
processes.  I suggest that anyone volunteering to work on this
functionality create an afsicf2.cpp and do the same with the new interfac=
e.

I've created RT130219 to track this request.

Jeffrey Altman