[OpenAFS] Re: Writing allowed where it's not expected

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:20:49 -0400

--------------enigAD89FCC185B1AF63B3306103

On 9/19/2011 9:36 AM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:20:05 +0200
> Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de> wrote:
>=20
>> The only thing I did was to "vos release" _another_ volume that was
>> mounted below .../sw and which showed up as "not released" in the
>> output of "vos listvldb". Does this also count as "being on a
>> read/write path"?
>=20
> Yes. You can usually pretty quickly see which volume is causing the
> "read-write path"-ness by running 'fs exa' or 'fs lq' on each parent
> directory starting with /afs/ and working your way down.

If I understand Dirk's situation, path that should have been rw was

 /afs/cell/sw/foo

with volumes
  root.afs		root.afs.readonly
  root.cell		root.cell.readonly
  sw			sw.readonly
  foo			foo.readonly (not properly released)

In which case if normal mount points were used everywhere in the path,
then /afs should be readonly, /afs/cell should be readonly, and
/afs/cell/sw should be readonly but /afs/cell/sw/foo should end up
read/write because foo.readonly was in an error state.

The state of foo.readonly should not impact the evaluation of
/afs/cell/sw.  There clearly is something weird going on here.