[OpenAFS] Windows client network behaviour

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:50:01 +0200

On 21.09.2011 16:42, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> On 09/21/2011 02:56 PM, Lars Schimmer wrote:
>> On 2011-09-21 13:09, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>>>
>>> In the hunt for oddities regarding the new IFS Windows client I have
>>> observed a problem causing bad performance, and hopefully someone has
>>> some idea about what is going on.
>>>
>>> Environment:
>>> Server: OpenAFS 1.4.12.1, CentOS 5.3
>>> Client: Windows 7, OpenAFS 1.7.1
>>
>>> Any hints anyone? I think this smells as traffic shaping due to the
>>> quite exact transmit rate but
>>> since the QoS module is uninstalled and the behaviour is seen on the
>>> windows network interface
>>> I have no clue where it may be.
>>

>> Not really a idea or anything, but:
>> - encryption enabled or disabled on client?
> Disabled.
>=20
>> - local cache on client on slow harddrive?
> No, state-of-the-art HP workstation.  Note that this is more-or-less th=
> behaviour

Just to note: ALL HP machines I had to work with had real bad issues
with performance and were really slow while there was some load on disk
I/O. I get away from HP machines as far as I could.
But maybe thats personal experience.
(e.g. the workstation for our office copied files with 10 MB/sec from
one HD to another while I was surfing the net)

>> Our current setup does show 20-40 MB/sec with OpenAFS 1.7.1 on 64bit
>> system, depending on the server.
> Yes, and that is what we expect also, therefore I am investigating this.

> -- Ragge

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723