[OpenAFS] Windows client network behaviour

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:00:07 -0400

--------------enig59473D4DB273518BCEDE175E

On 9/22/2011 5:08 AM, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> What I meant here is that the gateway is a Centos 5 machine running
> Samba and OpenAFS 1.4.10 and store data in AFS.  So, writing to the
> same place in AFS via this machine is significantly faster than using
> the IFS client. This is just to show that the performance problem isn't=

> there if using the Linux client.

If the behavior you are seeing is not a regression from the OpenAFS
Windows 1.6.0 client on your systems, then the performance limitation is
simply a design limitation of the current Windows cache manager
implementation.  The cache manager currently requires that all StoreData
operations be serialized which limits the number of simultaneous
StoreData RPCs on a file to 1.  Small chunksizes will result in poor
performance.   I use

  ChunkSize 23 (decimal)

which equates to 8MB per RPC.