[OpenAFS] problems with de-installing OpenAFS 1.5.x on windows 7 - Reason found

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:40:50 +0200

On 2011-09-23 09:00, Lars Schimmer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I experienced some heavy problems with deinstalling the 64bit package o=
> OpenAFS 1.5.x on our windows 7 workstations.

Now I found the reason (I am 99% sure).
Once we started with Windows 7 and OpenAFS and user profiles in OpenAFS=20
space, we had problems with users not able to wait until OpenAFS loaded=20
to login.
So we managed to write a small registry patch to change the startup=20
orders of some services.
And AFAIK all these workstations which had that patch applied, died=20
horrible on deinstall the OpenAFS package.
All workstations which works well after deinstall OpenAFS did not have=20
had this patch installed.

(reason found, solution would be: revert patch ahead of deinstall or=20
reinstall Windows)

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723